The Gallery of the Academy rises in the place where a time was locates two antichi convents, that male of Saint Matteo and that feminine one to you of Saint Niccolò di Cafaggio, that they occupied all the block between the Announced Saintest public square and via Ricasoli.
The great atmosphere has the aspect of one church to Latin cross. The lateral arms and the Gallery of the Prisons occupy spaces of the medieval Hospital of Saint Matteo, while the Tribune that accommodates the statue of the David purposely was constructed on plan of the architect Emilio De Fabris between 1873 and 1882.
Beginning from 1980 the Gallery has been object of remarkable widenings: in the immense hall to the flat earth, saying of from Tuscany ones, in the evocative space in which anciently the corsia was found of the women of the Hospital of Saint Matteo, has been exposed in the 1985 the works of the university professors of the nineteenth-century Academy;
in particular the gipsoteca has found a positioning here definitive that eredi of the scultore the Lorenzo Bartolini had donated to the Italian State little after its dead women, happened in 1850.