The Communal Theatre has origin from the Politeama fiorentino, planned in the 1862 from Telemaco Bonaiuti, an arena in the open air from which taken to start puts into effect it them structure.
Today the theatre is constituted from one immense platea, an order of theater boxes and two great semicircular galleries to amphitheater for one total capienza of 2003 places to seat. Beside it knows it main finds the Small Theatre, a modern one “reduced” that it can receive approximately 600 spectators.
Partially destroyed two times, in the 1944 from a strafing and the 1966 from the alluvium, the Communal one has been ready restored, to symbolize the rebirth will and a civil engagement of the city (like expressed also in occasion of the great concert of Public square of the Lordship after the attack to the Uffizi of 1993). On the stage of the Communal one they are alternated the more prestigious names of music of this century: directors which Vittorio Gui, Bruno Walter, Wilhelm Furtwängler, Dimitri Mitropoulos, Zubin Mehta, von Karajan and Muti, “divine” Maria Callas, Peter Mascagni and Richard Strauss, Paul Hindemith and Bela Bartòk, Igor Stravinskij and Luigi Dallapiccola, Luigi Ninth, Karlheinz Stockhausen and Luciano Berio which interpreters of the their same musics.